Thursday, November 20, 2008

Of chickens, aprons, love & to better days to come



Well, I must say that today is a better day. After much Bible study, prayer, prayer and more prayer everything with my marriage is going better already. I've apologize for my earlier "rant"! At times it truly helps to get it off your chest, so to speak. I promise to try to be more positive in the future and read my Bible first! Today I will close with one of my favorite Bible verses to ponder.


Okay, on to better things. See these gorgeous aprons to the right? I ordered a set for my niece Madison and one for her mother and grandmother. I found them online made by Stitch Thru Time their site is http://www.stitchthrutime.com/ check it out. They have a ton of pretty fabrics. I've got patterns for a few retro aprons, but, I haven't the time or energy this time of year (USPS busy season!). My meager apron collection only has 3 vintage aprons. I have a BBQ style apron with chickens on it, my favorite to wear while cooking. Then one is a half apron made of yellow gingham with a colorful rooster, which was a gift from one of my favorite girlfriends Darlene from Montana. It's too nice to wear!!! The other is a blue and white striped apron that my Auntie JoAnn sent me for my wedding. Madison will love these aprons I suspect. She's at the age that she wants to cook with grandma and mom.


Have you gotten your Christmas shopping done? I have most of mine done. Just a few little items yet to pick up for some random friends I've made talking about our pet chickens! I sent one regional 1000 Islands gift basket to New Zealand today. I hand-picked some of our favorite made in New York cheeses, NY wines, NY jams, canned goods and you name it. Eric already opened his gifts. New LaCrosse boots and some Cabela's Elk skin mittens.


On the chicken front, I have 3 ceramic heat lamps running above their perches at night and then during the day I have 2 infrared lamps and I leave one of the ceramic lamps running in their upper coop where the roost is. It stays fairly warm really. This year I'd like to add a warm air humidifier, remote lighting and fire alarm. The girls are still laying fairly well. Big Momma is having a hard time coming back from this horribly hard molt. Her crop felt a bit soft the other day so I scrambled her a couple of eggs. Then I added 2ml of Nystatin, about 1/4 tsp of molasses, 1/2 tsp of ProBios and 1.4 ml of Baytril. She looked better the next day. Her crop feels better now. I gave her some plain scrambled eggs yesterday. She makes sure she gets right under the ceramic heat lamp with Tina Weena & Bevin. Weezy, Sylvia and Old Meanie hog the lamp on the other side of the roosts. Scroungey and Phoebe roost in another house and they have their own ceramic heat lamp.


Closing Bible verse for thought for today:
Proverbs 30:18-19
"There are three things that amaze me— no, four things that I don’t understand: how an eagle glides through the sky, how a snake slithers on a rock, how a ship navigates the ocean, how a man loves a woman. "

2 comments:

Sharon said...

The aprons are beautiful. We're raising some baby chicks up right now ourselves.

I was tagged and thought this would be a great way to get to know others. I had to pick 6 people to tag, so I chose you as one :) If you'd like to participate pop by my blog for instructions.

Sharon

Crazy Chicken Lady said...

Yes, I'd love to participate, tho, I'm not sure how to tag someone...!

What kind of chicks are you raising.